The Creative Skills Initiative is a strand of the Creative Employment Programme, provided by Creative & Cultural Skills, specifically designed to give young people aged 16-21, who are not yet ready to enter the workplace, some of the confidence and experience they need to take the next step towards employment or further training.
The Creative Skills Initiative will enhance the connection between education and the workplace, giving young people opportunities to engage in the arts, develop employability skills and gain nationally recognised qualifications.
The programme core elements are:
- Work experience opportunities with a range of creative and cultural organisations
- Arts Award
- Qualification such as: Enterprise, Customer Services, Business Admin, Art & Design, Performing Arts
- Functional skills where required
- Employability skills
How the programme could work:
- As an enrichment programme for existing level 1 & 2 arts courses; specifically providing work experience and work shadowing opportunities with creative and cultural organisations and embedding Arts Award.
- As a bespoke course which includes all of the programme core elements and is aimed at any students who are at risk of becoming NEET.
- Included as part of a cultural study programme; specifically providing work experience opportunities with creative and cultural organisations and offering Arts Award as part of the study programme enrichment.
“I’m thoroughly enjoying the Creative Skills Initiative course so far as it’s opened a lot of opportunities for me. I’m leaning towards doing voluntary work for Mercury Theatre after attending work shadowing there. I feel more confident in pursuing a career in fashion and make up after being on the course for these few weeks and gaining the support from my tutors.”
- Lauren Parry, Colchester Institute
To find out more about how we can help you, contact our Creative Skills Initiative Programme Manager, Naomi Young, or phone 023 8033 2491.