LOVE Local High Street Family Events Programme in Littlehampton
Date Created: 29th Jun 2021
This summer, Artswork are teaming up with Littlehampton Town Council and Arun District Council, with support from Littlehampton Organisation of Community Arts (LOCA), to present a series of surprising Saturdays on Littlehampton High Street.
From July 31st, every Saturday, pop into Littlehampton town to experience an array of high quality, fun, FREE, arts events suitable for all the family. As part of the local children and young people’s cultural investment project, Arun Inspires, the programme will showcase some of the most exciting work created for and by young people in the region, presenting different arts events every Saturday including live theatre, live music, pop-up street arts, interactive creative workshops and more. An exhibition of student photography reimagining the town centre and inviting the community to do the same will be exhibited throughout the Summer.
Highlights will include:
- Step into Colour – an exhibition of imaginative photography by A-level students from The Littlehampton Academy supported by arts organisation Corridor, exploring ways of making the High Street feel surprising and colourful through creative photography interventions. (July 31st – September 11th, 61 – 63 High Street, the old Hartleys store).
- The Battle of Littlehampton – watch battle commence as the Celts take on the Romans! Chichester Festival Youth Theatre will be joining the LOVE LOCAL celebrations by creating a dramatic invasion of Littlehampton town centre (July 31st).
- The Jukeboxes – a lip syncing musical pop-up performance event, using props, masks, puppets, a terrible selection of wigs, and two beautiful 1950s jukeboxes to bring some of our favourite pop-stars from past and present to the High Street (August 7th).
- Punch & Judy’s Staycation Celebration – Punch and Judy visit Littlehampton in the hands of acclaimed ‘Professor’ Glyn Edwards who has performed with the daft duo around the world (August 14th).
- UcanSpray – a live painting event where anyone of any age can join a fully inclusive (and non-toxic) spray art workshop creating a new mural for the area with an award-winning artist (August 21st).
- The Bell Orchestra – an interactive musical game for families that invites audiences of all ages to come together to play beautiful melodies on a set of giant chimes (August 28th).
The full programme also includes walkabout puppetry performances, workshops from brilliant local organisations, LOCA and Creative Heart, performances by Sussex Steel children’s and adult groups, and the chance for participants of all ages to get involved in #PictureLittlehampton, a new community photo competition looking for fresh perspectives and alternative views of the town centre.
Speaking about the programme, Chair of the Town Council’s Policy & Finance Committee, Councillor Dr James Walsh KStJ, said: “The Town Council is delighted to be working in partnership with the District Council and Artswork to deliver the Love Local Arts programme. It will bring the community together and hopefully attract visitors to our Town and give them a flavour of the exceptional local talent.”
Louise Govier, Chief Executive of Artswork, said: “At Artswork, we see every day the power of arts and creativity to shape happier and healthier children and young people and build better communities for us all. We are delighted to be working with local partners, including many young people, to bring what promises to be an exciting programme of free arts activities to the streets of Littlehampton this summer. Come and join in the fun!”
Councillor Mrs. Jacky Pendleton, Chair of Residential and Wellbeing Services at Arun District Council, said: “The past year has been extremely difficult for everyone so it’s fantastic to see life hopefully beginning to return to normal and to see events starting up again. This programme of free events run as part of Arun Inspires with support from Arun District Council, has something for everyone and I’m sure will go down a storm and really help to lift people’s spirits.”
For further information please contact Beccy East, Arun inspires Programme Manager at email@example.com
Notes for Editors
Artswork has empowered children and young people through arts and culture for the last 30 years. A national voice celebrating the arts, creativity and cultural development for, with and by young people, we are committed to improving their life chances and making a difference. At Artswork we strive to make the arts and creativity available to absolutely everyone. We aim to break through barriers and develop new ways for people to discover the success, empowerment and sheer joy that the arts and creativity can bring to classrooms, communities and careers.
Arun Inspires is a 3-year cultural development programme in the District of Arun. It aims to advance the cultural offer for local children and young people, developing progressive and meaningful new creative opportunities for, with and by children, and working in partnership with the cultural, education, youth and community sectors to ensure long-term sustainable impact. For further information about the Arun Inspires programme click here.
Littlehampton Town Council and Arun District Council are supporting the programme with funds from the Joint High Street events budget which was created to bring activities to the Town to support the local economy during the Public Realm Improvement works.
Organisations producing work for the LOVE Local High Street events programme include:
- Corridor https://www.corridorprojects.org.uk
- Chichester Festival Youth Theatre https://www.cft.org.uk/take-part/children-young-people/chichester-festival-youth-theatre
- Applause Rural Touring https://applause.org.uk
- Bootworks http://www.bootworkstheatre.co.uk LOCA https://www.facebook.com/LOCALittlehamptonArts/
- Fedora https://www.thefedoragroup.com/about/
- Creative Heart http://www.creativeheart.org.uk
- Sussex Steel https://www.sussexsteel.com
- UCANSpray https://info962414.wixsite.com/ucanspray
- Beautiful Creatures https://www.instagram.com/beautifulcreaturestheatre/